[SCore-users] help with gm-1.6.3 port to Score 5.2.0

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 27 20:56:05 JST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Nick Birkett wrote:

> The pm and gm modules can be interchanged quite easily via our pm and
> gmm startup scripts (/etc/init.d/pm stop;  ./etc/init.d/gm start ).

... which means that you do this in prologue/epilogue of the batch system ?
Or the whole cluster is switched between GM and PM ?

The fact that the same hardware can be used with 2 different software
suites generally raises the problem of switching between them. Somebody on
the beowulf list mentioned some time ago that after finishing a long job,
the nodes are rebooted to be brought back into a known state.
However, different software could interact in unknown (and usually bad)
ways. For example, I understood that GM at init time tries to find nodes
through some broadcast which might disturb PM.

> Secondly we alway need to run the gm utility packages if there is
> a problem with a Myrinet card. - Myricom require information if a card
> has to be sent back.

I can't comment on this, I personally never sent any Myrinet card back :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868