[SCore-users] reinstallation of SCore

Rafal Metkowski rafmet at mat.uni.torun.pl
Wed Nov 5 20:24:23 JST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ulrich Oelmann wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> we are currently powering our 56 node single Athlon cluster using
> SCore 5.0.1 under Red Hat 7.2. As Red Hat will not maintain the 7.2
> release after december 2003 we are thinking of a reinstallation of our
> hole system. Because our desktop systems are running a SuSE
> distribution we are considering to change to the recent SuSE 9.0
> concerning our cluster, but before this can become more concrete I
> would like to ask you some SCore-related questions:
>
>   o Does anybody know of complications that we will be confronted with
>     other than that
>       - of course there are no pre-compiled binary SCore-RPMs for SuSE
>         so we have to install from the SCore sources.
>       - we have to downgrade the kernels of the computing nodes from
>         SuSEs patched 2.4.21 to vanilla 2.4.19 with SCore 5.4 patches.
>
>   o Does anybody already successfuly operate his cluster under one of
>     the newer SuSE releases?
>
>   o When is the next SCore version roughly going to be released? If it
>     is in the near future it could be worthwhile to wait for this new
>     release instead of using SCore 5.4!
>
>   o Will that version still be based on kernel series 2.4 or are you
>     planning to make the jump to the 2.6 kernel series after this
>     linux branch is created?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer to any of these questions!

I have no experience with SCore installation on SuSe but I have installed
SCore 5.4 on RedHat 9 and maybe my notes will be helpful.
It wasn't very easy to compile SCore on RH9 since RH9 contains many
'improvements' :-) Some of the changes are related to the RedHat 9 itself
some of them were made in accompanying libraries.
I have made some modification in SCore source tree. Some of them are
not very sophisticated and should be done in more elegant way.

Here they are step by step:
1) copy score-src/SCore/build/config/i386-redhat8-linux2_4 to score-src/SCore/build/config/i386-redhat-linux2_4 and change:
XLIB = -lXext -lX11 -ldl
XLIB = -lXext -lX11 -ldl -lpthread
in score-src/SCore/build/config/i386-redhat-linux2_4
Generally you have to add -lpthread in all places where X libraries are
used. Without that there were undefined symbols related to threads.
I have also made this modification to:
score-src/runtime/mpi/mpich-1.2.0/src/mpe/configure
score-src/runtime/mpi/mpich-1.2.4/src/mpe/configure

2) copy directory score-src/SCore/rc/i386-redhat8-linux2_4/ to
   score-src/SCore/rc/i386-redhat-linux2_4/

3) replace type 'boolean' with 'bfd_boolean' and 'false' with 'FALSE'
in file score-src/SCore/mttl-ult/ult/heterosetup.c

4) replace 'extern int errno;' declaration with '#include <errno.h>' in files
score-src/contrib/flab/program/openpbs/src/src/lib/Liblog/pbs_log.c
score-src/contrib/flab/program/openpbs/src/src/server/svr_connect.c
score-src/program/pbs/src/src/lib/Liblog/pbs_log.c
score-src/program/pbs/src/src/server/svr_connect.c

There were no problems with kernel downgrade on compute nodes.

--
Rafal Metkowski                     Faculty of Math. and Computer Science
e-mail: rafmet at mat.uni.torun.pl     N. Copernicus University