[SCore-users] Help: Too slow running any program

Huiqun Zhou hqzhou at nju.edu.cn
Thu Jul 31 16:48:17 JST 2003

Hi, Bogdan,

Sorry for my delay of responding you. It seems that programs running in my Score environment
not only took long, long time between "Score-D connected" and the first line of output
displayed, but also spent more time on communication during computation. I tried a fluid
dynamics code on my cluster. For its serial version, it took about 2 seconds per each time step.
While for its parallel version, besides it took about 3 minutes at the beginning of the run, it took
4 to 6 seconds per time step even on a 7 compute node cluster!

The code I tried run very well on my previous cluster, which comprised of 4 compute nodes and
a dedicated server. All machines of my previous cluster are P III 800MHz, 256 MB with Intel NIC.
My current cluster is comprised of 8 machines with P4 2.4GHz, 512MB and 3Com NIC, plus
D-Link DGE-550T Gigabit NIC (not in use yet).

I'm using D-Link's 8 port Gigabit Ethernet switch DGS-1008T.

Looking forward to your help.

Huiqun Zhou
Department of Earth Sciences
Nanjing University