[SCore-users] Help: Too slow running any program

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jul 21 23:04:15 JST 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Huiqun Zhou wrote:

> It even took 2 minutes or more to run the simple examples, hello and
> cpi. Although the results are correct, it seems that it keeps looking
> for something at the begining of the run.

I the beginning of the run the only part affected ? I mean, does it take a
lot of time before printing the first line of output, but afterwards
everthing works with normal speed ? What is the load of the nodes when
this happens ?

> only 3COM card is in use.

With Ethernet hardware, especially with FastEthernet one, care must be
taken that the speed and duplex setting of the switch ports and cards are
in harmony. The best solution is to set both the card (default with the
3c59x driver) and the switch port to autonegotiate/NWAY. Failure to do so
will provide a link with very high probability of packet loss which
drastically reduces the maximum data transfer rate that can be obtained as
packets have to be retransmitted. Obviously, any kind of parallel
computation that uses such a broken link would be very slow.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868