[SCore-users] Gang scheduling details

John Uhlmann u9915240 at student.anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 24 08:54:34 JST 2002

You'll have to wait for the official response to confirm this, but my
interpretation and is that the scheduling on the time-sharing queues in
SCore is loosely based on the Distributed Hierarchical Control gang
scheduling algorithm from Feitelson.  I say loosely since SCore does not
seem to define the logical hierarchy of controllers that Feitelson
proposes and also had to make some allowances for use on a real
machine.  Basically, jobs are allocated in a buddy fashion if possible
but will be squeezed in anyway if this isn't possible (i.e. resources
are low).  A centralised controller then coordinates the gang scheduling
of the processes (where gang scheduling is the simultaneous
running/preemption of processes within the same job).

The short answer - buddy based gang scheduling.

For the definitive answer, look in and around
/opt/score/score-src/scored/scored/tss.cc (I think)
Also I believe there are some papers by Hori et al on the
implementation.  And for details of the buddy allocation scheme start
with Feitelson.

John Uhlmann