[SCore-users] How to do performance analysis?

kameyama at pccluster.org kameyama at pccluster.org
Wed Jul 24 16:24:31 JST 2002

In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0207241300180.22461-100000 at mdl.ipc.pku.edu.cn> Chen Hao <chen at mdl.ipc.pku.edu.cn> wrotes:
>   I wanted to do some performance analysis of MPI based program in SCORE
> platform. For example, I hoped to obtain the number of times every MPI
> function was invoked and the average time spent in the function. But when
> I just compile with -pg option, it didn't work. What should I do? Need
> other tools or recompile the SCORE-MPICH with -pg option?

You can use profiling library in MPE.
In MPICH/SCore, you can use upshot and Jumpshot 3 log viewer.
For example, you want to use Jumpshot 3:
1. Compile and link mpi program with -mpilog option.
   % mpicc -mpilog foo.c -o foo
2. Set PE_LOG_FORMAT environment varibable to SLOG
   % setenv PE_LOG_FORMAT SLOHG
3. Execute the program.
   % scrun ./foo
   This program is createed "program_name.slog".
4. viewing log file by logviewer.
   % logviewer foo.log

To use Jumpshot3, please see:
    /opt/score/doc/mpi/jumpshot/index.html
For more dateil for MPE profile library, please see also MPE user guide:
    http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/docs/mpeman/mpeman.htm

                       from Kameyama Toyohisa