[SCore-users] Installing Score on RedHat 7.2

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 4 22:23:50 JST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Daniel Pfenniger wrote:

> Has anybody succeeded to install it on a RedHat 7.2 system?

Yes, on a fully updated (as of end of last year) Red Hat 7.2 system.
However, I have used a test kernel from Red Hat (from Rawhide) based on
2.4.16. The 2.4.10 kernel (for which a patch is included in the SCore
distribution) has known problems w.r.t. VM subsystem; only 2.4.13 and
later can be considered stable from this point of view.

> If yes, are the modification trivial or not?

So an so. The kernel patch applied almost without rejects (well, given its
size, anyway); I also applied lm_sensors patch to the kernel before the
SCore patch, so the rejects might have been caused by it (the Red Hat
kernel includes an older version of lm_sensors). Anyway, the rejects were
easy to add by hand.
The software installation was not so easy. SCore distribution only
includes RPMs and source (tar.gz), but neither source RPMs nor spec files
in the tar.gz, so there is no easy way to rebuild everything the same way
as the provided RPMs. However, the compilation "by hand" (tar zxf, make,
make install) works pretty well. There are some places where files are not
were they should be according to the docs (f.e. on the Providing Optional
Compilers page there is a mention of "/opt/score/src/driver" directory
which is actually "/opt/score/src/score-4.2.1.core/driver") or some config
files need to be modified before compilation but they are created only
at "make install" time. Probably the best way is to install everything
with the default options first then start looking for configuration and
re-compile.

I'd be glad to hear other experience(s) in this direction.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868