[SCore-users-jp] Re: [SCore-users] sleep or signal problems

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu @ iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
2002年 10月 9日 (水) 21:54:51 JST

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Atsushi HORI wrote:

> Aha, now I understand your problem (a little bit).

You gave me all the right clues. Thank you !

> SCore runtime library forks (actually clone) another process which is
> to have the same memory space. We call this process "shadow process."

I found it in scoredlib/usr/shadow.c. I tried to replicate it in my
test program with fork(2) but it didn't work as you described, so I copied
the code from shadow.c which uses clone(2) with syscalls translated to
getpid(2) and kill(2) and this worked.

> So, the wait() function in your code returns when the closed shadow
> process stops because of SIGSTOP.

Yes, I was able to replicate this in my test program. Whenever the child
sends itself SIGSTOP, the parent receives SIGCHLD. If at this point,
another SIGSTOP is sent to the child, the parent is not signalled again.
However, if a SIGCONT is sent to the child, the child "wakes up" and sends
itself again a SIGSTOP at which point the parent receives again SIGCHLD.
So I assume that the SCore scheduler sends SIGCONT every half a second to
all processes belonging to SCore jobs, which makes the parent receive a
SIGCHLD signal every half a second.

So, SIGCHLD is another signal that cannot be used with SCore. It would
probably be helpful for other developers to mention this somewhere in the
documentation.

I'll try to modify the ARMCI library from GlobalArrays to prevent it from
dying when wait(2) returns an error code; if successfull I'll post later a
patch here for the benefit of all trying to get ARMCI/GA to work on SCore.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu @ IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De