[SCore-users] reinstallation of SCore

Ulrich Oelmann ulrich.oelmann at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Nov 4 19:15:06 JST 2003

Hi list,

we are currently powering our 56 node single Athlon cluster using
SCore 5.0.1 under Red Hat 7.2. As Red Hat will not maintain the 7.2
release after december 2003 we are thinking of a reinstallation of our
hole system. Because our desktop systems are running a SuSE
distribution we are considering to change to the recent SuSE 9.0
concerning our cluster, but before this can become more concrete I
would like to ask you some SCore-related questions:

  o Does anybody know of complications that we will be confronted with
    other than that
      - of course there are no pre-compiled binary SCore-RPMs for SuSE
        so we have to install from the SCore sources.
      - we have to downgrade the kernels of the computing nodes from
        SuSEs patched 2.4.21 to vanilla 2.4.19 with SCore 5.4 patches.

  o Does anybody already successfuly operate his cluster under one of
    the newer SuSE releases?

  o When is the next SCore version roughly going to be released? If it
    is in the near future it could be worthwhile to wait for this new
    release instead of using SCore 5.4!

  o Will that version still be based on kernel series 2.4 or are you
    planning to make the jump to the 2.6 kernel series after this
    linux branch is created?

Thanks in advance for any answer to any of these questions!
Ulrich