[SCore-users] SCORE_RSH and use of ssh instead of rsh

kameyama at pccluster.org kameyama at pccluster.org
Fri Mar 28 10:06:39 JST 2003

In article <200303272336.h2RNabG15621 at fritz.dam.brown.edu> "C. Evangelinos" <ce107 at dam.brown.edu> wrotes:
> 2) It would be nice to have a script that reproduces the effects of
> installing the rpms for setting up device and configuration scripts,
> local directories etc. for the case of NFS installations like mine
> which do not use EIT or the RPMS for the compute nodes. I may end up
> writing one myself anyway as I add nodes.

You can use /opt/score/install/setup command to install device, init.d
and local directory:
    # cd .TN/opt/score/install*B
    # ./setup -score_comp
Please see
    /opt/score/doc/html/en/installation/sys-compute-fromsrc.html

> b) This is the most important problem and related to the title of my
> e-mail:
> For various security reasons I cannot use SCore with rsh (beyond
> testing). Even with tcp wrappers enabled to limit access I'd prefer to
> use ssh instead. SCORE_RSH seems to work with very few SCore binaries
> and most importantly cannot work with scout. Is there a quick fix for
> that or is rsh hardcoded in too many places in the source code?

Probably, SCORE_RSH is work most SCore commands expect scout and PBS.

scout is not worked SCORE_RSH, because scout use rsh to inter-compute hosts.
For example, if you want to scout to 4 hosts (comp0, comp1, comp2, comp3),

scout execute as following:
1. scout execute scremote to comp0
      your_host% rsh comp0 scremote ...
2. scremote on comp0 execute scremote to comp1
      comp0% rsh comp1 scremote ...
3. scremote on comp1 execute scremote to comp2
      comp1% rsh comp2 scremote ...
3. scremote on comp2 execute scremote to comp3
      comp2% rsh comp3 scremote ...
If scout use SCORE_RSH, you cannot use ssh-agent to execute scout.

But if you run scoutd on compute hosts,
scout use scoutd insted of rshd.
So you may stop rshd on compute hosts.

                       from Kameyama Toyohisa