[SCore-users] Permission denied error.

Luc Simard simard_luc at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 02:08:55 JST 2002

Host cn40 seems to be faulty for some reason. I will
compare and try to find a difference in the
configuration .

==
==
1.

In doing an "elimination" test to verify which hosts
is not working , I started eliminating from host cn36
and proceeded towards host cn40 . When I bypassed host
cn40 , it went through :

[root at stokes root]# scout -g cn~cn3~cn36
SCOUT: Spawning cn38.clumeq.mcgill.caPermission
denied.
[root at stokes root]# scout -g cn~cn3~cn37
SCOUT: Spawning cn38.clumeq.mcgill.caPermission
denied.
[root at stokes root]# scout -g cn~cn3~cn38
SCOUT: Spawning cn37.clumeq.mcgill.caPermission
denied.
[root at stokes root]# scout -g cn~cn3~cn39
SCOUT: Spawning cn37.clumeq.mcgill.caPermission
denied.
[root at stokes root]# scout -g cn~cn3~cn40

--

2.

test #1 :

I checked the rsh between host cn2 and
cn38,cn39,cn40,cn41.

The host cn40 isn't cooperating in rsh commands.

Here are my results :

[root at cn2 sysconfig]# rsh -l root cn38 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn2 sysconfig]# rsh -l root cn39 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn2 sysconfig]# rsh -l root cn40 ls -C /
Permission denied.
[root at cn2 sysconfig]# rsh -l root cn40 ls -C /
Permission denied.
[root at cn2 sysconfig]# rsh -l root cn41 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn2 sysconfig]#

test #2 : I verified if host cn40 behaves with some
degree of consistency, deniying all rsh communications
.

test #2.1 : cn38 to cn2,cn39,cn40,cn41 . All worked
for the exception of cn40.

[root at cn38 root]# rsh -l root cn2 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn38 root]# rsh -l root cn39 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn38 root]# rsh -l root cn40 ls -C /
Permission denied.
[root at cn38 root]# rsh -l root cn41 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn38 root]#

test #2.2 : cn39 to cn2,cn38,cn40,cn41 . All worked
for the exception of cn40.
[root at cn39 root]# rsh -l root cn2 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn39 root]# rsh -l root cn38 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn39 root]# rsh -l root cn40 ls -C /
Permission denied.
[root at cn39 root]# rsh -l root cn41 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn39 root]#

test #2.3 :  cn40 to cn2,cn38,cn39,cn41 . Nothing
worked. >> It seems to be the problem <<

[root at cn40 root]# rsh -l root
usage: rsh [-nd] [-l login] host [command]
[root at cn40 root]# rsh -l root cn2 ls -C /
cn2: Unknown host
[root at cn40 root]# rsh -l root cn38 ls -C /
cn38: Unknown host
[root at cn40 root]# rsh -l root cn39 ls -C /
cn39: Unknown host
[root at cn40 root]# rsh -l root cn41 ls -C /
cn41: Unknown host
[root at cn40 root]#

test #2.4 : cn41 to cn2,cn38,cn39,cn40 . All worked
for the exception of cn40.

[root at cn41 root]# rsh -l root cn2 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn41 root]# rsh -l root cn38 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn41 root]# rsh -l root cn39 ls -C /
bin   dev  home    lib         misc  opt   root
scored  usr
boot  etc  initrd  lost+found  mnt   proc  sbin  tmp
  var
[root at cn41 root]# rsh -l root cn40 ls -C /
Permission denied.
[root at cn41 root]#

--
I was doing a test last week. Could a
/etc/sysconfig/network file modification be the

My test was done on only "cn1" and "cn2" , these two
hosts >>are not<< posing a problem. I am trying to
find any relevance to solve this problem. Once the
modification weas done , I had to reboot the nodes.
The day after, kaboom, nothing has been working since.

Here's what I did, I added a default gateway to enable
remote display to internet users.

The orginial file looks like this :

[root at cn2 etc]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=cn2.clumeq.mcgill.ca
NISDOMAIN=clumeq.mcgill.ca
DOMAINNAME=clumeq.mcgill.ca

my modification was :

[root at stokes root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
HOSTNAME=cn2.clumeq.mcgill.ca
NISDOMAIN=clumeq.mcgill.ca
GATEWAY=192.168.0.250
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

--- kameyama at pccluster.org wrote:
> In article
> <20021001050603.13129.qmail at web13905.mail.yahoo.com>
> Luc Simard <simard_luc at yahoo.com> wrotes:
> > your first suggestion worked.
>
> Sorry, scout invokes scremote from privious compu9te
> host insted of server host.
> Then you must check cn39 instead of stokes.
>
> > 1. The hosts.equiv on cn40 does include stokes :
> >
> > [root at cn40 root]# cat /etc/hosts.equiv
> > # The following list is added by configSCore
> > stokes.clumeq.mcgill.ca
> > cn1.clumeq.mcgill.ca
> > cn2.clumeq.mcgill.ca
> > cn3.clumeq.mcgill.ca
>
> Please check cn39.clumeq.mcgill.ca is found.
>
> > 2. SSH access works fine.
>
> Please check rsh access is work between cn39 and
> cn40.
>
>                        from Kameyama Toyohisa

=====

Luc Simard