[SCore-users] Multiuser Memory Issues

John Uhlmann u9915240 at student.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 7 22:55:46 JST 2002

I've recently noticed a peculiar difference between scored in single
user and multi-user modes.  I can't remember seeing this documented
anywhere, so I thought that I'd ask.

The situation is basically that when I run jobs in multi-user mode then
the maximum job size that I can fit on the system is far smaller than in
single user mode.  (About 60% for the job in question which has a O(N^2)
memory footprint.)

For reference, my cluster has SMP nodes with 384MB main memory and 1GB
swap.

In the morning I intend to investigate this further by trying different
jobs and also looking at the situation on a non-SMP cluster.  But for
now, I was wondering if anyone had come across this phenomenon before
and could explain it.

John