[SCore-users] GM availability on SCore, when ???

Shinji Sumimoto s-sumi at flab.fujitsu.co.jp
Wed Dec 18 19:53:52 JST 2002

Hi.

Have you used mpi_zerocopy=on on your benchmark?
The default option MPICH/SCore is mpi_zerocopy=off.

Which benchmark are you using?
Could you show the performance results?

From: Emile CARCAMO <emile.carcamo at nec.fr>
Subject: [SCore-users] GM availability on SCore, when ???
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:34:16 +0100

carcamo> 	When running some MPI benchmarks on Myrinet-2k, we noticed that performance
carcamo> 	is much-much better using 'GM' rather than PM. Problem is that 'GM' is not
carcamo> 	that much integrated with SCore until now (no checkpoint/restart, rcp-all
carcamo> 	won't work, needs a kernel rebuild on nodes, etc... etc...).
carcamo>
carcamo> 	As far as I know, PM is an older version of 'GM' (was maybe GPL licensed at
carcamo> 	that time ?). But GM offers the capability to run TCP/IP on top of it : you
carcamo> 	can do 'ifconfig myri0 up' on each node then do some NFS mounts if you wish
carcamo> 	pretty cool stuff ;-)

PM is complete different from GM, built from scrach.
You will know if you see the source code of PM and GM.

Shinji.

carcamo> 	Are there any plans to integrate GM under SCore and to have the capability
carcamo> 	to switch either PM or GM as kernel modules (just doing insmod/rmmod !!).
carcamo>
carcamo> 	Many thanks for your feedback on that important issue, and best regards.
carcamo>
carcamo> --
carcamo> Emile_CARCAMO           NEC European            http://www.ess.nec.de
carcamo> System Engineer         Supercomputer           mailto:emile.carcamo at nec.fr
carcamo>                         Systems France      GSM mailto:emile.carcamo at orange.fr
carcamo> (+33)1-3930-6601   FAX
carcamo> (+33)1-3930-6613  PHONE  / Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted \
carcamo> (+33)6-8063-7003   GSM   \ for the change to take effect. Reboot now?  [ OK ] /
carcamo>
carcamo> The tar-balls I've downloaded from the Myricom WEB site :
carcamo> -rw-r-----    1 emile    carcamo  12463332 Nov 18 20:09 mpich-1.2.4..8a.tar.gz
carcamo> -rw-r-----    1 emile    carcamo   5814426 Nov 18 19:42 gm-1.6.3_Linux.tar.gz
carcamo>
carcamo>