[SCore-users] EIT Never starts Cloning my CLuster Nodes

Luc Simard lsimard at allegrasolutions.com
Wed Dec 11 06:07:01 JST 2002

Hello all,

As i am testing a small 2 nodes (ether100) cluster before installing 5.2 on our 128nodes. I seem to be stuck.

0) Disk are partitioned according to the specs on the website.
1) I installed Linux 7.3 , stock. I installed everything.
2) Once done,  the netwoek is one a non-routable IP set , e.i. 192.168.0.* .
3) I entered my host and cluster nodes in both /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow files.
4) I modified /etc/xinet.d/rsh, turned rsh disable off
5) I modified /etc/securetty by doing echo rsh >> /etc/securetty
6) I've setup NIS. When I type in ypwhich, I get the hostname of my master node. FQHN , aka karate.clumeq.mcgill.ca
7) When I type in :
% ypmatch karate.clumeq.mcgill.ca hosts | awk '{print $2}'

- I get the right answer, which is my hostname. This command is erronous in the  documentation, there is a part missing. The part refering to the NIS map, aka 'hosts' .

8) mount /mnt/cdrom
9) /mnt/cdrom/Install
10) /opt/score/bin/configNIS
11) /opt/score/bin/eit -nisonly
12) Configuration of my hosts and nodes in eit's menus and dialogs. Ether100 selected with SHMEM 'on' and all hosts.
13) Creation of boot floppy.
14) waiting for discovery of a MAC.
15) Boot up of node 1 with floppy in drive ...
16) daemons all started and green, all systems go.
17) discovery of MAC, eit assigns it as Host0 , 192.168.0.1. I didn't start at zero in eit hosts config. I decided to offset by 1 to 1.
18) I wait.
19) waited some more. I opened another shell, tried to ping 192.168.0.1 (first node that booted with floppy), it replies from the pings.
20) 15 Min. have past. What am i doing wrong ?

I really want to move to 5.2 , but I also have to test it first .

please advise.

ls