[SCore-users] EIT with PXE ?

Yutaka Ishikawa ishikawa at is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Aug 4 19:50:33 JST 2002

From: Nick Birkett <nrcb at streamline-computing.com>
> Can I modify the EIT daemon ( dhcp ) or can I use a separate dchp server
> (like with older Score release)?

In EIT, the boot file feild of the DHCP packet contains i) the path of
the installation image and ii) the path of the CD-ROM image.  Two
paths are separated by the ":" character, e.g.,
	/opt/score/setup/RedHat/instimage:/mnt/cdrom/

The system booted from the EIT floppy disk performs as follows:
    1) obtain the two paths.
    2) mount the instimage which contains /usr/bin and other directories.
    3) mount the CD-ROM image.
    4) run the anaconda located under the /usr/bin directory.

The port number 1641 is used so that another DCP daemon do not respond
the system request.  Of course, you may use the DHCP daemon if the
network segment has only one DCHP daemon and it is configured so that
the boot file filed contains the above information.

If the networked boot system image is the same image of the EIT boot floppy,
it may work without any modification.

-- Yutaka