[SCore-users-jp] [SCore-users] SCore/Omni issues

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 @ cfm.brown.edu
2005年 2月 16日 (水) 16:07:14 JST

I'm in the process of installing SCore 5.8.2 on a small number of Itanium
boxes connected via Gigabit Ethernet and running RedHat EL AS3.0 which is not
among the supported O/Ses. Since Fedora Core 1 and RH EL AS3 share a lot of
common origins I believe I should be able to get it work. I seem to have
(almost) successfully built things but it appears that generating a new file
providing options

SCore/build/config/ia64-redhat-linux2_4

does not fully cover me as without an equivalent directory

SCore/rc/ia64-redhat-linux2_4

the eventual installation was not proper. It would be nice to have a small
blurb somewhere in the instructions where it explains how one may go about
attempting to build for an unsupported arch so that details such as the one
above will not be missed as the building procedure is rather long.

Moreover as I discovered Omni is not simply untested on SCore/IA64 but
actually will not build due to lack of settings for some low level atomic
operations etc.  Is support for IA-64 expected to appear in Omni for
SCore/SCASH in version 2.0 and when is that expected?

Finally we have a much larger group of machines with Xeon and Pentium4
processors running Fedora Core 1 but with 2.6 kernels. The vast majority of
the machines have Gigabit ethernet cards based on the Tigon3 chip. We'd like
a better performing MPI implementation on them (and SCore offers much more)
but:
a) SCore requires 2.4 kernels
b) In my experience Tigon3 performance in SCore is abysmally unreliable (for
example bandwidth fluctuated between 400 and 600Mbit/s in the asymptotic
regime whereas e1000  gave a stead 900.

Are there any plans for SCore to move to 2.6 kernels (I realize that must be a
lot of work)? And any plans for better support of Tigon3 chips?

Thanks for a very good tool in SCore,

Constantinos

Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(formerly of the Center of Fluid Mechanics, Brown University)