[SCore-users-jp] Re: [SCore-users] Procedure for adjusting networking parameters

Atsushi HORI hori @ swimmy-soft.com
2003年 3月 20日 (木) 11:06:17 JST

Hi,

>Does anyone have a "best practices" procedure that they'd like to share
>on how they adjust their networking parameters for highest performance?

What is the definition of "performance" ?

Althought many people believe that the communication perfomance can
be measured with latency and bandwidth, but as far as I know, those
latency and bandwidth are representing some aspects of communication
characteristics. Have you ever heard of the LogP model ? This is
another performance measure of communication, but still LogP
represents some aspects, not all.

Further, cluster users want to run their jobs as fast as they could.
So the ultimate goal is to obtain the highest performance of
applications, not the communication. Somtimes application performace
depends on the latency and bandwidth, but sometimes not.

----
Atsushi HORI
SCore Developer
Swimmy Software, Inc.