[SCore-users-jp] Re: [SCore-users] Myrinet deadlock

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu @ iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
2003年 3月 6日 (木) 02:32:30 JST

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> I'll try next to see if I can get SCore 4.2.1 to work with a newer kernel
> (2.4.18-19 or so, maybe some RedHat variant) to see if the problem comes
> from the newer kernel or from newer SCore.

I managed to patch RedHat's 2.4.18-24 with the kernel patch for SCore
4.2.1 and built the SMP athlon kernel (haven't tested yet the SMP i686
kernel but I'll do it this evening). However with this kernel I also
experience the lockups. So, still using SCore 4.2.1 I went back to the
2.4.16-based kernel that I used before and I was again able to run without
any lockup for more than 1 hour which already means "stable".

So, some problem with the kernel... I also tried to boot with "noapic" for
both Score 5.4 with kernel 2.4.19-1SCORE and SCore 4.2.1 with my 2.4.18-24
based kernel to eliminate any doubt about interrupt problems, but this
didn't help.
On the other hand, with SCore 5.4 and kernel 2.4.19-1SCORE I was able to
use the ethernet based communication (with or without shmem) without any
problem - or maybe I did not test enough, but anyway on the same
time-scale it didn't lock up. Which leads me to believe that somehow the
new (> 2.4.16) kernels and Myrinet cards do not go well together on our
computers... Anybody knows how the interrupt rate for Myrinet cards
compare with the interrupt rate for fast ethernet (3c59x here) for the
same communication needs ? Any other idea ?

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu @ IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De