[SCore-users-jp] [SCore-users] Developing with PM

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu @ iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
2002年 10月 16日 (水) 21:07:33 JST

[ This message comes to score-users, as score-info seems to be obsolete,
based on the automated reply that I've got. ]

Dear SCore developers,

In trying to port the ARMCI communication library to work on PM, we've
encountered several problems. The documentation and examples did not
provide satisfactory answers to our questions, so we need to ask for
clarifications.

Most of the questions are related to low-level PM functions:

1. Are the PM functions thread safe ? The documentation only mentions
pmCreateAttachFd which has to be protected.

2. How does the send operation (pmSend) works when there is no pmReceive
at the other end ? Is it OK to just call one or more times pmSend and then
just check if everything was sent with pmIsSendDone ?

3. ARMCI needs to create a dataserver thread/process which spends
lots of time waiting for requests from clients in a select(2) call. I have
found an example of using select(2) in "pmest"; is this mechanism still
supposed to work ? How to obtain the fd (or fd's) to wait on ? What are
the semantics of select(2) when waiting on these fd's: what does it means
when select(2) returns a positive integer and FD_ISSET(fd) returns true ?
In the dataserver, is one fd enough to signal arrival of messages from any
client or we need to have one fd per client ?

4. The pmGetFd function returns a list of fd's associated with the
context. What is the meaning/use of having more fd's associated with a
context ?

5. The dataserver thread/process has to do its own communication separate
from the MPI communication. After calling MPI_Init(), how can another
context (to be used for the non-MPI communication) be obtained ? Are there
limitations in what this context can do as being the second associated to
the process ? How can we obtain the list of nodes associated with the
first context and associate it with the second context ?

6. Is there some more documentation about PM apart from the man pages
available with the distribution and from the web site ?

We are looking forward for your reply as these are fundamental issues for
our porting work.

Thank you in advance!

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu @ IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De